Swamp Forest Trail Marathon, Half Marathon and 6.5 Mile Run
Registration: Opens October 1, and closes December 1 (Late registration Dec. 2 – Dec 15 if available)
Event Limit: This event is limited to 150 runners. Plan now so you do not miss this opportunity!
About the Course: The Elinor Klapp-Phipps Park Trail is comprised of three main loops: the Swamp Forest Loop, the Coon Bottom Loop, and the Oak Hammock Loop, along with several connecting trails and miles of shared use and horse trails.
– The Swamp Forest Loop runs next to a seepage basin swamp and a profusion of ferns, passes ephemeral ponds, and a Beech Magnolia forest.
– The Coon Bottom Loop runs beside a clear sand bottom seepage stream in many places, and passes through Beech Magnolia and Spruce Pine forests. The trail crosses a black water stream that drains a seepage basin swamp. Along the north side of the loop, the trail passes through an upland forest.
- The Oak Hammock Loop runs near the shore of Lake Jackson. Deer can often be seen along the edges of open fields. The adjacent fields contain many fenced gopher tortoise holes.
– The Creek Forest Trail runs around the head of a seepage stream, curves around an ephemeral pond, then encounters a series of meander loops of the main stream. There are large patches of Giant Cane and Arundinaria gigantea along the trail.
– The Big Tree Cutoff passes a swamp that contains Pinckneya, Needle Palms and a stand of huge Tulip Poplars.
Benefits: Donations can be made to the Tallahassee Friends of Our Parks Foundation, Inc.
Packet Pick-up: Race day 6:30 to 7:30 a.m. Check our Facebook events page for pre-race packet pick-up information.
Park Map: www.talgov.com/Uploads/Public/Documents/parks/pdf/phipps.pdf
Additional Information: Bobby York, (850) 443-6795, or check our Facebook event page for updates.